Appeal for your solidarity from IGS President Dr Diarmuid O'Shea
Traditionally, your membership of the Irish Gerontological Society was effected by attendance at our annual and scientific meeting each September. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was not possible to hold this keystone event in 2020.
Now, more than ever, older people need our support and advocacy. To facilitate continuity of membership, we have established a new membership administration system.
Please click on the link on this page and join the IGS today to show your solidarity with us and with older people as we face into our first winter addressing this challenging pandemic.
The Irish Gerontological Society is the foremost multidisciplinary society in Ireland concerned with gerontology: the science and study of age and ageing. This includes the study of changes in older people’s physical and cognitive health and the social changes people experience as they get older.
Members of the IGS stem from the whole of Ireland, representing professions and disciplines involved in areas such as health and social care, economics, the social and built environments, and technology.
Membership is open to individuals from diverse disciplines and fields, including
- Health and social care professionals engaged in service delivery to older people
- Academic staff of universities or similar institutions involved in the study of ageing
- Those involved in the promotion of advocacy on the needs of older people
- Such other persons as the Society shall admit in its discretion as members
- Access to member-only events
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) accreditation
- Access to the most recent gerontological and geriatric research
- Publication of abstracts and papers in IGS e-journal and blog
- Opportunities to participate in peer-review processes
- Active participation on committees, in special interest group meetings and at events
- Opportunities to develop your facilitation, presentation and adjudication skills
- Participation in gerontological expert working groups
- Opportunities to influence submissions and policy development
- Networking with a broad range of people from numerous disciplines and interests of gerontology
- Improve and enhance your research skills
- Receive regular gerontological news updates
- Participate in international networks through our membership of IAGG
- Learn from international thinkers and practitioners at our events
- Attendance at IGS AGM
2020/2021 membership subscriptions Click here to Join Now
|Type||Standard (from 1 October 2020)|
Membership period: 1 Sept 2020 to 31 Aug 2021
*student ID will be requested before membership is approved
Already a member? log in here