Online Media Editor (Honorary Position)
Application Deadline: 31st December 2017
For your convenience, a copy of this notice can be downloaded at the bottom of the page
The Irish Gerontological Society (IGS) is seeking a proactive and enthusiastic member to take on the role of Online Media Editor. Ideally, those persons interested should have awareness, understanding and/or previous experience of managing on-line platforms from an editorial perspective with a proven interest in Older Person’s Care. This is a new and important role. The following are guidelines. They may be subject to change as the needs of the IGS, and the requirements of the role itself, develop.
Background: The IGS currently has a website which is based on a Drupal platform. It has an active Twitter account (@irishgerontsoc).The purpose of this new role is to develop and improve our online and social media profile and presence. The successful candidate will work from their own location but may be requested to attend editorial conference call/meetings from time-to-time.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Align social media presence and activities with the IGS Strategic Plan
- Advise the National Executive Committee on the society’s online undertakings
- Liaise with the National Executive Committee, IGS members and other communities to ensure content consistency
- Build our online footprint to include LinkedIn, Facebook and other appropriate platforms
- Contribute to a strong online voice for the society through social media
- Maintain a multi and inter disciplinary balance of online content and messaging
- Identify, commission and upload interesting and appropriate digital content (e.g. mobile, website, blogs, podcasts, video)
- Suggest and implement online leadership and virtual networking events for the IGS (e.g. journal club)
- Identify and implement online learning resources for IGS members
- Attend the IGS Annual & Scientific Meeting and co-ordinate event social media activities*
- Available to input a few times a week and/or respond at short notice if required
- Broad Gerontological knowledge and perspective
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid knowledge and experience of using online social media platforms
This role will initially be accountable to, and receive guidance from, the IGS Online Media Lead. This interim position is currently held by Dr. Shane O’ Hanlon. Shane is a consultant geriatrician with experience in providing similar online leadership, direction and support to the British Geriatrics Society.
This role will be supported by:
- Miriam Ahern. IGS Strategy & Development Lead. Miriam manages our website and the IGS Twitter account.
- Elaine O Connor. Elaine is Hon. Secretary of the IGS.
This is an honorary, unpaid role. However, we anticipate that this important work will strengthen the successful candidate’s CV, develop their skillset, and provide useful networking opportunities.
*Registration, conference dinner, and accommodation fees will be covered by the IGS.
Please forward expression of interest and suitability by email to Elaine O Connor email@example.com. Application deadline is 31st December 2017